Most organizations collaborate with external partners, which can be for instance clients or contractors.
Wire offers two options for secure external communication – externals and guests.
- Externals are part of a Wire team and require a user license.
- Externals are added via the external role in Team Management.
- Admins and owners can remove externals from the team just like any other team member. When externals are removed from the team, they lose their conversation history and are automatically logged out of their account.
- Guests are not part of a Wire team and guest access is free of charge.
- Guests can join a conversations by signing up for a free Wire Personal account or alternatively via a link invite without signup or app installation.
- Since guests are not part of a Wire team, their conversation history can not be erased.
Both externals and guests have limited access rights compared to regular team members. They can not see the entire directory of team members, but only those in the same conversation.