As an admin or owner, you can access team management. In the People section, you can change the roles of each person on your team.
A team member is part of the team. Team members can easily find each other and start conversations. Team members can create and delete conversations, add and remove team members in groups and invite guests to a conversation.
A team admin is a team member with administrator rights, which allows them to add or remove other team members. Team admins can also promote and demote people from members to admins and update team settings. The team can have multiple team admins.
A team owner has the same rights as the admin, plus access to the billing section of a team. The team can have multiple owners. Only owners can invite people as owners to the team.
An external, for example, a client or a contractor, is part of your team. Externals have fewer rights than team members. The external role has a few limitations:
- Externals lose their conversation history and are automatically logged out of Wire when removed from the team. This is in contrast to guests – as guests do not belong to a team, their conversation history can not be erased.
- Externals can only find team members who are in the same group conversations. They can be added to group conversations by other members of your team.
- Externals can leave a group conversation but they can´t create one or change its settings.
- Externals can change their notification settings for a conversation.
- Other team members can find externals by searching for their usernames.
- Find an overview of external communication on Wire.
As a team owner or admin, you can remove team members from your team. When you remove someone, this person will lose access to their Wire account.
As guests are not part of your team, you do not need to pay for them. Learn more about guests.