The legal hold feature enables customers who have a legal obligation to record communications for future review. The recording process is automatic and maintains the high security standards, ensuring that messages are secured between the endpoints and neither Wire nor a third party can read them. All recorded transcripts are stored in a central location chosen by the customer.
When legal hold is activated for a particular team member all their future conversations – including deleted, edited, and timed messages – will be recorded. The subject and all conversation partners will be aware of the recording.
Conversations that do not contain any legal hold subjects will not be recorded.
- People who are part of a team under legal hold need to update Wire on all devices, otherwise their entire account will be suspended. If this is the case, update all devices and log in again.
- In group conversations under legal hold, only team members can be added. Guests can not be added as they are not part of the team.
- If a participant of a group conversation is a subject to legal hold, all guests will be removed from the conversation.
- As a team member subject to legal hold, you cannot connect to guests.
- As a team member, you cannot connect to a legal hold subject from another team.
- As a private user, you cannot connect to any legal hold subjects.