The legal hold feature enables customers who have a legal obligation to record communications for future review. The recording process is automatic and maintains high-security standards, ensuring that messages are secured between the endpoints, and neither Wire nor a third party can read them. All recorded transcripts are stored in a central location chosen by the customer.
When legal hold is activated for a particular team member all their future conversations – including deleted, edited, and timed messages – will be recorded. The subject and all conversation partners will be aware of the recording.
Conversations that do not contain any legal hold subjects won’t be recorded.
- People who are part of a team under legal hold need to update Wire on all devices, otherwise their entire account will be suspended. If this is the case, update all devices and log in again.
- Only team members can be added to group conversations under legal hold.
- Guests can not be added as they are not part of the team.
- If a participant in a group conversation is subject to legal hold, all guests will be removed from the conversation.
- As a team member subject to legal hold, you can’t connect to guests.
- As a team member, you can’t connect to a legal hold subject from another team.
- As a private user, you can’t connect to any legal hold subjects.