For Android 7.0 and newer (API Level 23)
Wire asks for permissions as you use different features in the app. You can always revoke given permissions by going to the app’s settings. If you don’t permit certain features, some functionality might not work.
Wire asks for the following permissions
Contacts - “android.permission.READ_CONTACTS”
To upload hashed contacts from your address book to match you with your friends. Once uploaded and matched, they are deleted from our server.
Location - “android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION”
Location info is used for two things:
- In your list of devices Wire shows where you first logged in, for each device that you add. This helps you to identify if this was you who logged in.
- To share your location with friends.
Phone, device ID & call information - “android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE”
Wire uses this to read your phone number for contact matching.
Photos/Media/Files, Storage - “android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE”
To enable you to use file sharing, saving pictures to the gallery, and caching encrypted message history.
Camera - “android.permission.CAMERA”
To take pictures or videos and video call.
Microphone - “android.permission.RECORD_AUDIO”
To call and record audio messages.
- To diagnose network connection and have the app react accordingly to ensure you get the messages on time.
- To enable Bluetooth devices when calling or listening to media on Wire.
- To control the flashlight, to take pictures in dark conditions.
- To make sure the phone doesn´t go to sleep while using Wire during certain situations, for example, calling or recording audio or video messages.
- To vibrate your phone when you have new incoming messages or calls.
- To switch between speakers and headphones.
- To communicate with Wire's backend servers, so your messages can be sent and received.
For detailed technical information on Wire's Android permissions see: